SUFFOLK COUNTY

S.P.C.A.  (631)382-7722

 

Donate

Table

 

Law Enforcement
Adoption
About Us

Fight Animal Cruelty

What to look for and do
Disaster Planning
Pet Friendly Shelter
Travel

Emergency Services

VERT

Safety Tips

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter

 

 

Search for:

Health care for our pets from theVetís Corner

Anti Freeze:  As Spring & Summer approach, many of us begin to once again work on our cars and change fluids for warmer weather. We must remember to NEVER leave antifreeze lying around, even for a few minutes. Antifreeze has a sweet taste that is attractive to animals; however it is very deadly to them. This is so even if small amounts are heavily diluted, such as residue in a draining pan or on a rag.

If you see your pet ingest antifreeze, call your veterinary hospital immediately or seek veterinary care at an Emergency Hospital that carries the antidote.  They will attempt to induce your pet to vomit and if that fails, administer an antidote. Unfortunately, the antidote only works if administered within the first 4-8 hours after ingestion. Often times, owners are unaware that their pet has ingested antifreeze until the pet begins to show symptoms the next day.

Initial symptoms include trouble breathing and coughing. This is often followed by nervous system signs such as twitching, trembling and seizures. Finally the pet will start to drink and urinate excessively as the kidneys begin to fail.

There are several brands of antifreeze available today that are non-toxic to children and pets. Check the labels at the store; if the product is toxic, it will be clearly marked. Please remember to be careful with the products you use in and on your vehicle. Use and dispose of properly to avoid potential disasters.  

Dr. John Charos

 

LYME DISEASE:  Lyme disease is a debilitating tick-borne disease in which dogs are 50% more susceptible than humans, with new infections doubling over the last decade. Our first line of defense is to test and vaccinate. Ticks can transmit to humans and animals through a bite and initiate a multi-system inflammatory disease. The most common carriers of the deer tick are birds and mice. Long Island and parts of Queens are now considered the #1 area for Lyme.   Dz and the Vx is highly recommended.  Common signs of Lyme disease include swollen joints, stiffness, lameness, fever, lethargy, dermatitis, loss of appetite, depression and vomiting. If left untreated, degenerative joint disease, cardiac disease, kidney disease and even death can follow.

Vaccine is not the best prevention, prevention is the best prevention. Treat and check your pet and treat your yard.  The vaccine is not that effective. While nothing is 100% most studies show treatment is greater than 80% effective.We recommend monthly tick preventative products be used all year round if we donít have a prolonged freeze. It is up to pet owners to notice early signs and do routine tick checks after outings. Tick removal should be done by your veterinarian or properly pulled with gentle traction by grasping the head of the tick with tweezers. Never twist or jerk when removing, or this could lead to injecting more of the tickís saliva into the pet, thus causing infection.  You must be diligent and check your pet and yourselves after walks.  Use a layered approach to protecting yourself and your pet.

Dr. John Charos

CONTACT

   

Suffolk County Offices
North County Complex
725 Veterans Memorial Hwy.
Bldg. 16
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 6100
Hauppauge, NY 11788-0099

(631) 382-7722 Phone

(631) 382-4042 Fax

Contact Form